How does temporal compare to darklang?

Just getting to know temporal and dark, and would like to see how they compare.
My background is in microservices and full stack development in python, and I’m interested in moving towards a serverless architecture.

Thanks.

I don’t know much about darklang besides a couple of short intro videos. As far as I understood it solves a completely different problem than Temporal.

Dark is about serverless. It is a language with web based editors that allows writing code that is hosted by the dark backend. The underlying concepts that a developer has to deal with are practically the same as in any other existing development environment or language. Applications are still built by stitching together functions, databases, queues, and scheduled jobs.

Temporal is not about deployment. Applications built on top of it can be deployed as desktop applications, monoliths, or highly distributed microservice based architectures. Temporal doesn’t provide any serverless abstractions out of the box. Temporal solves the other problem which is how the resilient applications are designed and written. And it does it by hiding databases, queues, and durable timers under higher-level abstractions.

1 Like

Guess I’ll just have to wait for the python client and get my feet wet to see if it’s a match for me. Thanks for your prompt reply.