Can i disable "temporal_visibility" db?

what does the db “temporal_visibility” do ?

is that possible to disable the “temporal_visibility” db?

Temporal has two persistence stores. Primary store which persists your execution event histories (and other exec/cluster related info) and Visibility store which persists “visibility records” that include information about a specific execution (see docs here). For visibility you can set up standard or advanced which is backed by Elasticsearch.

It’s not recommended to remove visibility as its part of the core experience of Temporal (for example your web ui would not work without visibility). If you set up advanced visibility with ES then you don’t need the temporal_visibility db.

Server version 1.20.0 also brings support for advanced visibility on SQL dbs.

Hi ! You’re saying that it is not recommended, but that means that this is possible, right ?

I’m currently looking into doing this because there are some data that cannot be stored (even encrypted, we are not allowed to do so). That’s why I would like to disable all persistence stores if that’s possible.
So would you have any adivce on how to deploy a temporal cluster without UI, and persistences ?

I don’t think it is possible to disable visibility and other persistences to use Temporal. The main value proposition of Temporal is durability. Why are you planning to use it if you don’t care about durability?

The standard solution for the “extremely sensitive data” problem is to not pass data that cannot be persisted through workflow. Only pass references/IDs of that data and store them somewhere else (Redis, memory, etc.).