Creating large number of child workflows

I want to use Temporal for a data ingestion pipeline. The data is provided in an excel file. The file can contain up to 10000 entries. The parent workflow will parse the file. For each entry, a child workflow will be created that will do the end-to-end ingestion for that specific entry. All these child workflows will run in parallel.

What would be the most efficient way to implement this? Browsing the forum I found two options:

1. Iterator workflow pattern - Looks like this does not allow us to start all the 10000 child workflows in parallel since we read a range of entries in each iteration. Is this understanding correct? Also, is there any example of Java SDK implementation of this pattern?

2. Tree of workflows - We can create 100 child workflows in level 1, each of which will have 100 child workflows at level 2, thus making a total of 10000 child workflows at leaf level. I can also execute them all in parallel. So I prefer to use this approach. Is there any drawback of this strategy?

If you want to start all pipelines simultaneously then 2. should be ok. Make sure you do performance tests to see if you run into any resource exhausted issues (depending how many workflow exect you start simultaneously):

sum(rate(service_errors_resource_exhausted{}[1m])) by (resource_exhausted_cause)

and alert on RpsLimit, ConcurrentLimit, and SystemOverloaded causes.

Would also monitor your SDK schedule to start metrics (sdk metrics docs here) and possibly look into adjusting server dynamic config value matching.numTaskqueueWritePartitions (more info here)

Another option is to have an activity that starts all the workflows using client API. The drawback is that it doesn’t allow waiting for all workflows to complete easily. The benefit is that it allows rate limiting the start requests.