How to implement worker versioning

Hello All,

I’m confused on how and when to use Worker versioning and workflow versioning. Let me explain my problem with example.

I’ve developed a workflow called EXAMPLE. Now do some bugs or some functionality Improvements, I had to change the code of EXAMPLE workflow.

Now If I change the code in EXAMPLE workflow, of course It’ll result in on deterministic error.

So I have two options now:

1. Maintain workflow version so I’ll create a new file called EXAMPLE_V2 and call EXAMPLE_V2 for all new workflow executions. But the drawback of this is I have to maintain multiple duplicate code files. If more new changes come in, I have to maintain more and more duplicate files.

2. **

The other option is Where I have a confusion. The Worker Versioning, Using build Id’s. Now the question is, Even with Worker versioning do I have to maintain both versions of code files? EXAMPLE & EXAMPLE_V2? OR With Worker Versioning Can I make changes in same workflow file? If not what’s the difference between worker versioning and Workflow versioning?

And can’t temporal itself handle the versioning by itself…? :smile:
It would be good if Temporal itself handles the versioning automatically by itself

Hi maxim,

Thanks for suggesting the course. I have gone through the course but still did not get any answer to my question because there’s no detail regarding worker versioning in the course. It is mentioned as coming soon.
Can you please clarify…

Thank you.

It is indeed about to be released. As soon as it is released, the documentation will be provided.