Invoke workflow from rest endpoint

I plan to invoke temporal workflow that can take a few minutes to complete from a rest api endpoint. i.e. the api POST /invoke/temporal/workflow will invoke a temporal workflow that will do processing. My question is do I use async to invoke the workflow, because I want to send a response back to the client instead of blocking for many minutes.

i.e.
@PostMapping("/invoke/temporal/workflow")
public Response startWorkflow() {
Promise hello = Async.function(activities::composeGreeting, “Hello”, name);
return http 200;
}

Once this line is executed, temporal will store the workflow and retries will automatically be done upon failure, is my assumption correct?

Async class should be used only from the workflow code. Inside a rest handler use WorkflowClient to start workflow without waiting for it to complete:

MyWorkflow workflow =
          client.newWorkflowStub(MyWorkflow.class, workflowOptions);

// Start asynchronously
      WorkflowExecution execution =
          WorkflowClient.start(workflow::execute, arg1);

Thanks for this. I am trying to test the activity retry capabilities but am running into RETRY_STATE_TIMEOUT on what looks like the workflow after about 5-6 minutes of the activity attempting a retries. I configured the activity to do many retries, for many days but yet the workflow always times out after a short time and I am unsure why.

15:32:53.871 WARN  i.t.i.s.POJOActivityTaskHandler - Activity failure. ActivityId=b26d696c-785a-39cd-9c82-d6a376575fea, activityType=Process, attempt=6 
java.lang.NullPointerException: npe so should do retries
	at temporal.activity.MyFunActivityImpl.process(MyFunActivityImpl.java:36)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
	at io.temporal.internal.sync.POJOActivityTaskHandler$POJOActivityInboundCallsInterceptor.execute(POJOActivityTaskHandler.java:286)
	at io.temporal.internal.sync.POJOActivityTaskHandler$POJOActivityImplementation.execute(POJOActivityTaskHandler.java:252)
	at io.temporal.internal.sync.POJOActivityTaskHandler.handle(POJOActivityTaskHandler.java:209)

5:32:53.905 ERROR i.t.i.s.WorkflowExecuteRunnable - Workflow execution failure WorkflowId=MyFunWorkflow2021-11-25T15:27:12], RunId=5cc2195f-cd5b-43f8-986b-7ea4f2ee52aa, WorkflowType=MyFunWorkflow 
io.temporal.failure.ActivityFailure: scheduledEventId=5, startedEventId=6, activityType='Process', activityId='b26d696c-785a-39cd-9c82-d6a376575fea', identity='27315@ABC21342', retryState=RETRY_STATE_TIMEOUT
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.getStackTrace(Thread.java:1607)
	at io.temporal.internal.sync.ActivityStubBase.execute(ActivityStubBase.java:48)
	at io.temporal.internal.sync.ActivityInvocationHandler.lambda$getActivityFunc$0(ActivityInvocationHandler.java:77)
	at io.temporal.internal.sync.ActivityInvocationHandlerBase.invoke(ActivityInvocationHandlerBase.java:70)
	at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy431.process(Unknown Source)
	at temporal.workflow.MyFunWorkflow.runWorkflow(MyFunWorkflow.java:41)
Caused by: io.temporal.failure.ApplicationFailure: message='npe so should do retries', type='java.lang.NullPointerException', nonRetryable=false
	at temporal.activity.MyFunActivity.process(MyFunActivity.java:36)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method:0)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
	at io.temporal.internal.sync.POJOActivityTaskHandler$POJOActivityInboundCallsInterceptor.execute(POJOActivityTaskHandler.java:286)
	at io.temporal.internal.sync.POJOActivityTaskHandler$POJOActivityImplementation.execute(POJOActivityTaskHandler.java:252)
	at io.temporal.internal.sync.POJOActivityTaskHandler.handle(POJOActivityTaskHandler.java:209)
	at io.temporal.internal.worker.ActivityWorker$TaskHandlerImpl.handle(ActivityWorker.java:193)
	at io.temporal.internal.worker.ActivityWorker$TaskHandlerImpl.handle(ActivityWorker.java:151)

Can you show your workflow history? Also your WorkflowOptions and ActivityOptions.

Using default workflow options

You configured ScheduleToClose timeout of 16m 40s. This timeout limits the duration of retries.

I recommend watching The 4 Types of Activity timeouts video/post that explains each activity timeout in detail.

I"ll take a look thank you. Does this mean temporal keeps the workflow “running” on a thread while these retries keep waiting for potential hours or days? That seems to limit the amount of workflow instances I can have that are in a retry state if they are always running. I thought that the workflow gets suspended or queued if its waiting for activity retry scheduled time.

I guess my question is, is there a better way to setup temporal for the scenario where I have a 1 to 1 mapping of activity and workflow, and activity can fail and is retriable for a few days

Does this mean temporal keeps the workflow “running” on a thread while these retries keep waiting for potential hours or days?

No, it doesn’t mean this. Suspended workflow doesn’t take any resources from the worker.

I guess my question is, is there a better way to setup temporal for the scenario where I have a 1 to 1 mapping of activity and workflow, and activity can fail and is retriable for a few days

Yes, don’t set any timeouts besides activity StartToClose timeout that limits the duration of a single activity execution attempt. Also don’t set RetryPolicy.MaximumAttempts as it practically never has any business related value.