May I know the disadvantage and advantages over cadence?

Team,

May I know the list of functionalities addressed by cadence service but temporal won’t.

As we planning to build a solution on top of it, we want to know the features which can be done using cadence but not supported in temporal.

As of now, I know

Temporal’s disadvantage over cadence is,

1. Cross dc replication is in an experimental state.

Temporal’s advantages over cadence are,

1. Temporal use grpc for connection but cadence uses TChannel
  2. Temporal use protobuf, cadence uses thrift.

Note: we will be going to use java-sdk

Kindly add other advantage and disadvantageous over cadence

Thanks!!

This answer is a little outdated, but still gives more data.

Some other differences:

• Security. Temporal implemented a security model which supports mTLS and pluggable permissions.
  • Temporal has more SDKs. PHP is already in production. NodeJS is in alpha. Python and other languages are planned.
  • We are working on the Hosted Temporal offering (aka Temporal Cloud).
  • Temporal Technologies is approaching 30 employees and is actively growing. So we just have much more resources to work on the project than the Cadence team.
1 Like

Thanks for the reply @maxim !!

I have gone through the link which you shared. It majorly addresses the advantages over cadence.

A small doubt,
As we can’t rely on a single temporal server, can we form a cluster in temporal to handle failover in the temporal service?

When we say temporal service we always mean the cluster of processes. So a failure of any single process is not going to bring it down.

Oh…Okay, I have installed temporal in my machine and ran sample workflows.
And the temporal service running as a single process.

How to run a cluster of processes in my local?

The simplest one would be using local k8s cluster (for example using minikube) and the Temporal helm-chart.

1 Like