Temporal TLS 14 UNAVAILABLE: failed to connect to all addresses. method: getVersionInfo, req: undefined

Hi guys,
i am trying to start temporal server using the sample here

https://github.com/temporalio/samples-server/tree/main/tls/tls-full

when i load it on my browser i get the error

> 14 UNAVAILABLE: failed to connect to all addresses. method: getVersionInfo, req: undefined

i have checked the logs of the temporal web container and

OperationalError: 14 UNAVAILABLE: failed to connect to all addresses
    at Object.exports.createStatusError (/usr/app/node_modules/grpc/src/common.js:91:15)
    at Object.onReceiveStatus (/usr/app/node_modules/grpc/src/client_interceptors.js:1209:28)
    at InterceptingListener._callNext (/usr/app/node_modules/grpc/src/client_interceptors.js:568:42)
    at InterceptingListener.onReceiveStatus (/usr/app/node_modules/grpc/src/client_interceptors.js:618:8)
    at callback (/usr/app/node_modules/grpc/src/client_interceptors.js:847:24) {
  cause: Error: 14 UNAVAILABLE: failed to connect to all addresses
      at Object.exports.createStatusError (/usr/app/node_modules/grpc/src/common.js:91:15)
      at Object.onReceiveStatus (/usr/app/node_modules/grpc/src/client_interceptors.js:1209:28)
      at InterceptingListener._callNext (/usr/app/node_modules/grpc/src/client_interceptors.js:568:42)
      at InterceptingListener.onReceiveStatus (/usr/app/node_modules/grpc/src/client_interceptors.js:618:8)
      at callback (/usr/app/node_modules/grpc/src/client_interceptors.js:847:24) {
    code: 14,
    metadata: Metadata { _internal_repr: {}, flags: 0 },
    details: 'failed to connect to all addresses'
  },
  isOperational: true,
  code: 14,
  metadata: Metadata { _internal_repr: {}, flags: 0 },
  details: 'failed to connect to all addresses'

i am not sure i understand the problem
Please some help will be highly appreciated.

Could you share more info on how you configure Temporal Server and Web please?
Are you deploying locally on docker? If so try increasing maximum memory Docker is allowed to use (to 8GB for example) and see if that makes a difference.

@tihomir
Setup

1. i cloned this repo https://github.com/temporalio/samples-server/tls/tls-full
  2. ran script to generate certificates
  3. ran sudo docker-compose up

i basically followed the steps in the readme, i had some issues with the start script and exporting the two variables but i don’t think that should be the cause. i did a find and replace for the variable and it’s values in the docker-compose file.

And docker has enough memory.

so what do you think?

Not sure, just tried with latest from main branch (https://github.com/temporalio/samples-server/tree/main/tls/tls-full) and did not run into this issue.
Wondering what’s the issue you ran into when running
bash start-temporal.sh
and what changes you had to make to get it working. Would start from there.
Also when you run the tls sample, do you have Temporal already running on some other container(s)?

it wasn’t exporting the variables

export TEMPORAL_TLS_CERTS_DIR=/etc/temporal/config/certs
export TEMPORAL_LOCAL_CERT_DIR=./certs

i would get a warning when i run the script about how the variables are not set and it would default to a blank line.

because of this i replaced all the mentions of the variables in the docker-compose file with their actual values

It seems as issue with your web ui configuration.
Tagging @Ruslan for help.

Can you assure that your server and admin-tools pods have started up successfully. Also try to shell into the admin-tools pod and see what you get when you run tctl command:

tctl n l

Command not found

@tihomir so i cloned the repo and did it all again and this time i did not have trouble exporting the variables i however still have an error
`

14 UNAVAILABLE: DNS resolution failed. method: getVersionInfo, req: undefined

i also some screenshots from my termianl

`

Wonder if you are running into this issue.
Can you try pruning your docker system and see if that will pick up latest images which should work.

You could also try to point to specific server version when you start the script, for example:

export SERVER_TAG=1.14.4 && bash start-temporal.sh