Upgrading existing helm charts

Hi,

For enabling rolling upgrade of the temporal helm charts. Is it in plan to add a file with delta changes to existing version of .29v of default and visibility DB.

regards
Sandeep

1 Like

Hi Sandeep, thank you for this question.

Our expectation is that Temporal will provide db schema migration tooling for each release that includes schema changes. It might not look like a file with delta changes, but if you have specific requirements / preferences for how the schema delta is packaged for your use case, please let us know!

Thank you,
Mark.

Hi Mark,

(context: helm .29 with own mysql)

Thanks for the information.
Our overall intention is,

1: while upgrading from version A - B, how can we upgrade the helm chart without having to uninstall A
2: the current blocker in achieving point 1 are the two processes (DB creation,Tables creation), which we are doing as a prerequisite kubernetes Job before installing the other templates.
3: while installing B, we believe there would some addition of CREATE tables statements, which if added as a delta file for version B, we can modify the helm installation to pick version B changes while doing helm upgrade.

regards
Sandeep

1 Like

@markmark

so if i have temporal 0.28.0 installed in my k8s, and if i just do helm upgrade things will seamlessly upgrade to 0.29.0 right?

inspite of the fact that i could be using a managed sql/cassendar/es.

Hi Madhu,

(EDIT: Updated)

Starting with any release after 0.29.0, you should be able to upgrade to a later release and preserve the data. The process may involve running schema migration tools in addition to upgrading the version of images you are running (e. g. via helm upgrade ...).

Thank you,
Mark.

Thanks mark, https://github.com/temporalio/temporal/pull/697 is a prerequisite for rolling upgrades right?

1 Like

Hi Mark,

can you please clarify “running schema migration tools”.

regards
Sandeep

Hi Sandeep,

The short answer is that the details of this are TBD. ; )

The slightly longer answer is that we currently have a tool that we use for creating keyspaces / tables and updating schemas (temporal-cassandra-tool and temporal-sql-tool), and they will likely be at the core of how schemas get upgraded. The exact user experience / steps are to be defined, and we will compose / test / document them whenever we have a release that includes a schema upgrade.

Thank you,
Mark.

1 Like