Docker compose tls error

Hi all,

I’m trying to spin up the docker-compose-tls example, but I continually run into this error:

=> [auto-setup-tls:1.18.5 internal] load build definition from Dockerfile.auto-setup-tls 0.0s
=> => transferring dockerfile: 219B 0.0s
=> [temporalio/admin-tools-tls:1.18.5 internal] load build definition from Dockerfile.admin-tools-tls 0.0s
=> => transferring dockerfile: 192B 0.0s
=> [auto-setup-tls:1.18.5 internal] load .dockerignore 0.0s
=> => transferring context: 2B 0.0s
=> [temporalio/admin-tools-tls:1.18.5 internal] load .dockerignore 0.0s
=> [auto-setup-tls:1.18.5 internal] load metadata for docker.io/temporalio/auto-setup:1.18.5 0.0s
=> [auto-setup-tls:1.18.5 internal] load build context 0.0s
=> CACHED [auto-setup-tls:1.18.5 1/3] FROM docker.io/temporalio/auto-setup:1.18.5 0.0s
=> [temporalio/admin-tools-tls:1.18.5 internal] load metadata for docker.io/temporalio/admin-tools:1.18.5 0.0s
=> CANCELED [temporalio/admin-tools-tls:1.18.5 internal] load build context 0.0s
=> => transferring context: 0.1s
=> CACHED [temporalio/admin-tools-tls:1.18.5 1/3] FROM docker.io/temporalio/admin-tools:1.18.5 0.0s
=> ERROR [auto-setup-tls:1.18.5 2/3] COPY ./.pki/ca.pem /usr/local/share/ca-certificates/ca.crt 0.0s

[auto-setup-tls:1.18.5 2/3] COPY ./.pki/ca.pem /usr/local/share/ca-certificates/ca.crt:

failed to solve: failed to compute cache key: failed to walk /var/lib/docker/tmp/buildkit-mount18482053/.pki: lstat /var/lib/docker/tmp/buildkit-mount18482053/.pki: no such file or directory

Sorry if this is something simple I am not catching, appreciate any help.

Ran into same with docker compose -f docker-compose-tls.yml up.
Instead you have to run ./tls/run-tls.sh from the base docker-compose repo dir to build the tls images first (the build uses docker-compose-tls.yml).
There is a bit of a hidden readme file here on this.
Hope it helps.

Thanks I appreciate the input. I went that route and was able to get a bit further but still running into a wall. Then I switched to a mac and ran it straight through no problem. It appears to have something to do with my WSL2/bash configuration on Windows. From what I’ve gathered so far, its been a mix of bash not having access to appropriate env variables and Windows mis-formatting of the .sh and docker files. New to using docker so still learning how to troubleshoot, it’s brutal!

@blambe did you ever solve your issue? It sounds like I’m in exactly the same situation as you.

Running tls/run-tls.sh runs into another error where building the Dockerfile.auto-setup-tls image fails with an error when trying to run the update-ca-certificates command. I found various other threads of people talking about problems with this but the solution was to ensure you have something like USER root before that command which the Dockerfile already has…

I’m not sure how to proceed from here.