Import Event History in Temporal UI

I noticed there’s a feature in the Temporal UI for importing Event History, but I have not been able to figure out how to use it. At first glance, it seems like I should be able to take my archived workflow execution JSON files and rehydrate them so I can see them in the UI but that doesn’t seem to work. The formats seems inconsistent.

Is there any documentation on how I could rehydrate archived workflow executions into the Temporal UI?

How are you getting the event history json for your archived executions, from web ui itself?
Can you try getting it via tctl or cli, for example:

tctl wf show -w <wfid> -r <runid> --of myhistory.json

and then try to import the contents of myhistory.json in web ui, let us know if this works better for you.

Hi @tihomir,
Thanks for this feature, we’ve been enjoying integrating Temporal into our systems.

Is there any way to send a POST request or similar in the UI server/UI with a history.json file, so it can be automated?

Our current planned plan is to be able to link our existing metadata system to temporal using WorkflowID/RunIDs, so I’d like to use the API to fetch the history events for a workflow, and upload the JSON to the temporal UI.

Unfortunately, this will require a manual step as the HistoryEvent parsing is performed in JS: https://github.com/temporalio/ui/blob/3a6465f95c4c346ea9831830003bb5d1247de238/src/lib/components/import/event-history-file-import.svelte#L25.

Note, some of these workflows are archived (and out of the DB retention for visibility), so I can’t simply use the main UI because describe (ui/api/v1/namespaces/X/workflows/Y/runs/Z) doesn’t work for archived.

Happy to open this as a ticket/feature.

I got the event history json from the S3 bucket the archived executions were copied into. The format of the files are different if the use the CLI or the web UI.

As @adeboyed pointed out, after the event history has been archive, I can’t use the UI or the CLI to get the event history.

Ideally the archived event history and the format outputted from the CLI / Web UI would be the same or at least the import tool would support both.

Hi @adeboyed! Did you find out the answer to this question? We need to migrate a bunch of long-running workflows to the new server and looking for the simplest way to do this. It would be great to have such kind of instrument which allows us to automate this process.

cc: @tihomir