Similarities of Temporal to Blockchain

I was thinking about Temporal and suddenly I had a brainwave about how Temporal is so similar to Blockchain in terms of the idea of tracking the “history” of an event than the current state of the event itself.

Tracking the history is what makes it truly reliable, distributable and scalable. Of course block-chain maintains history itself in a distributed manner while Temporal relies on a central DB (which you may say is invalid if you use Cassandra). Of course still, the worker nodes are separate from your database nodes that are separate from your task queue nodes, but that doesn’t matter. In fact, is this the ideal way to implement a distributed system like Blockchain?

Have others thought along these lines before?

Is this something that is a fundamental truth of distributed systems? That to maintain reliability, you need to actually maintain the history and append any change by consensus (or in case of Temporal by a trusted worker)

In fact, I think you can design an modern banking system using Temporal as opposed to Blockchain.

I’m not an expert in blockchain technology. As I understand, its main technical achievement is a distributed log service that has no specific owner and is cryptographically protected from any mutation.

Temporal can borrow features like cryptographic validation that ensure that event history cannot be altered. But actual storage and communication to the event history will remain very different for many practical reasons.