Temporal integration for primary and DR environment

Hi Temporal team,

Does Temporal support any failover capabilities?

Or is the most straightforward way is to have worker nodes in both primary and DR (disaster recovery) environment use the same task queues?

Thanks,
Richard

How do you define " failover capabilities"? Temporal is already robust to failures of service nodes and worker processes.

It also supports multi-cluster deployments that provide very high availability. But this feature is still experimental.

Thanks Maxim!

by “failover capabilities”, I meant the following scenario:

primary nodes are consuming work from taskQueue=primary

If primary environment is down where all the primary nodes are offline, we would like DR nodes in DR environment to start picking up the same tasks from taskQueue=primary.

I suppose the simplest is just to have both primary and DR nodes point to the same queue. I’m assuming there isn’t a feature where DR nodes would be pointed to taskQueue=DR, and if primary nodes are down, then the tasks from taskQueue=primary get moved over to taskQueue=DR, if that makes sense :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Richard

Thanks,
Richard

We don’t support such feature out of the box. You can create a workflow that would suspend/resume polling on workers in different environments based on the system health.

1 Like