Unbound Breakpoints in Temporal VS Code Extension

Hi,
I am able to replay a workflow via Temporal VS Code and set a breakpoint. Strangely, I’m able to set breakpoints in code within temporalio node module but not within my project’s code! It says Unbound Breakpoint for those. I’ve tried adding sourceMap: true to tsconfig.json and doing a yarn build post that, but still no luck.

How does the Temporal VS Code Extension interact with my existing .vscode/launch.json, if at all? Because my launch.json invokes nodemon.

Also, is it necessary to start the worker separately when launching via Temporal Panel in the VS Code Extension, or does it take care of that as well?

I’ve been referring to this demo video and the blog post linked from there.

How does the Temporal VS Code Extension interact with my existing .vscode/launch.json, if at all? Because my launch.json invokes nodemon.

It doesn’t, it creates its own launch config under the hood that starts your program with ts-node: https://github.com/temporalio/vscode-debugger-extension/blob/main/configs/node-template.json.

Also, is it necessary to start the worker separately when launching via Temporal Panel in the VS Code Extension, or does it take care of that as well?

There’s no need, the extension launches a process that will start worker for you with your provided worker options: GitHub - temporalio/vscode-debugger-extension: Visual Studio Code debugger plugin.

I would try to put a debugger; statement at the top of your workflow function and see if VS Code is able to pick that up, we’ve seen delays in source map registration in VS Code before forcing users to use in-code debugger statements.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks, the clarifications help. Btw it’s “debug” and not “debugger” to invoke the debugger, right?

I’ve tried doing a “yarn cache clean”, restarting VS Code etc but still no luck. I’m currently running into some other config issue with VS Code. Once that’s resolved I may get back to this.

It’s debugger;

See debugger - JavaScript | MDN