Webpack problem when deploying temporal worker

Hi,

I’m currently evaluating Temporal for use with our platform. I’ve got a Temporal server running on our Kubernetes cluster and have a very simple typescript program (basically copying the hello world example) which I’d like to deploy to it. However when it’s deployed the following error is being generated:

ERROR in ./src/workflows.ts                                                                                                                                                                                                                 │
│ 2021-10-25T15:15:28.852Z [ERROR] [tsl] ERROR                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 │
│ 2021-10-25T15:15:28.852Z [ERROR]       TS18002: The 'files' list in config file 'tsconfig.json' is empty.                                                                                                                                                                    │
│ 2021-10-25T15:15:28.852Z [ERROR] ts-loader-default_e3b0c44298fc1c14                                                                                                                                                                                                          │
│ 2021-10-25T15:15:28.852Z [ERROR]  @ ../src/main.js                                                                                                                                                                                                                           │
│ 2021-10-25T15:15:28.852Z [ERROR]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             │
│ 2021-10-25T15:15:28.852Z [ERROR] ERROR in ./src/workflows.ts                                                                                                                                                                                                                 │
│ 2021-10-25T15:15:28.852Z [ERROR] Module build failed (from ./node_modules/ts-loader/index.js):                                                                                                                                                                               │
│ 2021-10-25T15:15:28.852Z [ERROR] Error: error while parsing tsconfig.json                                                                                                                                                                                                    │
│ 2021-10-25T15:15:28.852Z [ERROR]     at Object.loader (/app/node_modules/ts-loader/dist/index.js:17:18)                                                                                                                                                                      │
│ 2021-10-25T15:15:28.852Z [ERROR]  @ ../src/main.js                                                                                                                                                                                                                           │
│ 2021-10-25T15:15:28.852Z [ERROR]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             │
│ 2021-10-25T15:15:28.852Z [ERROR] webpack 5.58.2 compiled with 2 errors in 10932 ms

Has anyone else seen this before or got any ideas ?

Thanks,

Richard.

Did you use the same tsconfig.json and package.json from the hello world sample?
Can you share those?
Does this worker code run locally?

I haven’t seen this specific error before with our default setup.
It’d be great if you can provide a way to reproduce this, even if you just share your modified hello world project as-is.

I’ve now changed things so I’m using the same tsconfig/package.json. The code is the same as in the example. I seem to be having a problem with running locally at present so I can’t verify if this works. What I think I’ll try is to take your hello-world program as is and just add the extra bits to run this within our ci pipeline and see if that works ok.

Without more information about your setup I can’t assist further.
Why can’t you run things locally? Is this an environment issue?
Let me know if you come up with more information.