Doubts to start using Temporal framework

Hi Team,

I am new to the Temporal framework!
I have the following doubts.

Doubt1: I wanted to know whether the below use cases can be solved via Temporal?

1. Linear workflow

2. Parallel - we wanted to run n no of activities in parallel. After receiving results from all the activities we want to proceed further. it can be calling another activity or decision task.
    Note : It should not hold or wait for any thread to complete the parallel tasks

3. Batch - Say, If we wanted to execute 100 activities and if the batch_window_size is 5 then at time T we want only 5 activities to be executed. similar to parallel after receiving results from all 100 activities we will be proceeding further.
    Note : It should not hold or wait for any thread to complete the 100 activities

4. Wait - it can be minutes, hours, or days

5. Polling

6. Loop - execute a task until the condition meets

Doubt2: I have installed temporal server locally. when I open and see the docker-compose I can see only temporal-web, temporal-admin-tools, temporal, temporal-cassandra. I didn’t see elastic search, grafana, and Prometheus. Why?

Doubt3: Is installing the temporal server in a production environment different from local installation. Doc says yes, If so why?

Doubt4: what is helm-chart? Is it similar to Docker?

Doubt5: Does Temporal supports cross dc replication?

@anil_kumble You should spend some time to review the Core Concepts section in the Docs; most of your questions are answered there - https://docs.temporal.io/

There is a lot of sample code for you to refer to (e.g. Parallel) for Go + Java:

1 Like

Doubt1

As @mleow pointed out all of these are possible. Temporal workflows are just plain code, so these are trivial constructs in any high-level programming language. Feel free to ask follow up questions if the documentation and samples are not clear.

Doubt2: I have installed temporal server locally. when I open and see the docker-compose I can see only temporal-web, temporal-admin-tools, temporal, temporal-cassandra. I didn’t see elastic search, grafana, and Prometheus. Why?

docker-compose repository contains multiple files. Here is the one with ES.

The docker-compose is intended only for local development and running metrics stack is not needed for that. It is not included to save on resources.

Doubt3: Is installing the temporal server in a production environment different from local installation. Doc says yes, If so why?

Local installation runs all the dependencies locally. The production one runs the whole system in a distributed manner with databases and ES managed independently.

Doubt4: what is helm-chart? Is it similar to Docker?

I’m not expert. Here is the link to its site.

Doubt5: Does Temporal supports cross dc replication?

It does. But it is still an experimental feature.

1 Like

Thank you so much @maxim