Grafana graphs - not all graphs are getting populated

Hi i brought up the temporal with the default helm.

With this setting I see the Front end graph/dashboard getting populated,

However the Canary and Temporal dashboards are always empty see attached

I have couple of more questions around this.

a) Does these oob metrics depends on advanced visibility(and hence ES and Kafa)?

b) In the present setup i have enabled ES and kafka as well but still do not see any of these metrics.

c) Is there any thing else which i need to additionally add in helm configurations?
e.g. serviceMonitor.enabled : true
serviceMonitor.prometheus.timerType: histogram
etc? i tried changing too too but facing error like “Error: validation: chart.metadata is required” etc.

Any idea how i should proceed?

Hey @madhu,
The grafana dashboards we are publishing at this dashboards repo are just examples on how to setup your own dashboards. We lots of plans around better visibility around metrics and dashboards but it will happen after our V1 release. In the meantime please use these as reference to build your dashboards for the metric you care about most. We do not expect all of these to work on custom deployments of Temporal. Things like Canary will be removed as they are for some internal testing tools we use for validation of Temporal releases.

As for your other questions:

Does these oob metrics depends on advanced visibility(and hence ES and Kafa)?

No they do not rely on Kafka or enhanced visibility.

b) In the present setup i have enabled ES and kafka as well but still do not see any of these metrics.

As mentioned they are completely orthogonal to ES or enhanced visibility. These are service metric emitted through tally. Currently we support prometheus, statsd and m3db as the underlying backend for all service telemetry.

c) Is there any thing else which i need to additionally add in helm configurations?
e.g. serviceMonitor.enabled : true
serviceMonitor.prometheus.timerType: histogram
etc? i tried changing too too but facing error like “Error: validation: chart.metadata is required” etc.

Temporal helm-chart should work out of the box with prometheus backend. If somethings are not working as expected please file an issue on helm-chart repo for us to investigate.

1 Like

Thanks @samar for the clarification. let me dig a little bit more here , thanks for your pointers.