Is there any in-memory option for temporal server so that we can test it with embedded kafka and spring boot test?

I am creating a spring boot application using temporal as a workflow engine and kafka topics .
So in order to validate whole setup is working fine, I am writing integration test cases using spring boot test, embedded kafka, and temporal. But I am not getting any option or way to run in memory workflow engine .

Temporal provides a testing environment you could use. To add the depends here is how you would do it:

Maven:

<dependency>
      <groupId>io.temporal</groupId>
      <artifactId>temporal-testing</artifactId>
      <version>1.0.9</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>

Gradle:

testImplementation group: 'io.temporal', name: 'temporal-testing', version: '1.0.9'

This will give you access to TestWorkflowEnvironment that you can use to test your workflows without having to have a Temporal Server running.

You can see the many tests in
GitHub - temporalio/samples-java: Temporal Java SDK samples and GitHub - temporalio/sdk-java: Temporal Java SDK on how to write unit tests using TestWorkflowEnvironment.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

There is also information on this on our documentation site : https://docs.temporal.io/docs/java/testing-and-debugging

For debugging, make sure to read the “Debugging” section there on bottom of that page.