Elasticsearch Times in Nanoseconds

I’m trying to query on StartTime, CloseTime, and ExecutionTime in Elasticsearch. I see the Elasticsearch Index Template is setting those columns as long values. I’ve tried creating a custom index template to test around with setting those fields as date and date_nanos. date doesn’t work because the resolution of the three time fields are in nanoseconds. date_nanos also doesn’t seem to work like I would expect because Elasticsearch expects the format to be in epoch_millis (I don’t think they support epoch_nanos). What can I do to query StartTime, CloseTime, and ExecutionTime in Elasticsearch like StartTime > "2021-01-01" like Elasticsearch supports?

Elasticsearch is not intended to be queried directly. These date/time fields must be long in Elasticsearch schema. You have two options here:

1. Use tctl workflow list --query 'StartTime > "2021-05-12T00:00:00Z"' or use Advanced mode in Web UI. Both will send request to the Temporal server and it will perform proper conversion, query ES, and gives results back to you.
  2. Query long fields manually and perform this conversion yourself. It is basically:
time.Parse(time.RFC3339, timeStr).UnixNano()

I see. Our use case for querying Elasticsearch directly was for setting up dashboards and reporting on workflows in Kibana.