Failed to build ui-server image

I tried to build my own image of temporal ui for serving it under a sub path, following the direction here:
serve-ui-under-a-sub-path
But met errors below:

Step 13/23 : RUN make install-utils install-ui build-ui build-server
 ---> Running in c26e3bd354e6
make: go: Operation not permitted
make: /bin/sh: Operation not permitted
make: *** [Makefile:80: install-utils] Error 127
The command '/bin/sh -c make install-utils install-ui build-ui build-server' returned a non-zero code: 2

Is anything missed?
PS: I built on main branch.

Hello @whitecrow

I just tried it from scratch (starting by cloning the repo) and worked for me. I am not why you are having this issue.

Do you see any other error messages?

I searched on Google, and found the suggestions below(Docker build failed for reason: "make: /bin/sh: Operation not permitted" · Issue #49 · Mellanox/k8s-rdma-shared-dev-plugin · GitHub):

1. Upgrade docker to version 20.10.0 or later as per Alpine 3.14.0 Release Notes
  2. Or modify the image used for compile code from golang: alpine to golang: Alpine3.13 in the Dockerfile in your own development environment.

I do not know if ui-server depends on alpine and anyway I cannot change it, so it seems I should follow method 1.
I’ll have another try.

OK @whitecrow ,

let us know if it works

@antonio.perez Yes, it works.
But I still think we should make this " serve-ui-under-a-sub-path" feature directly configurable on deployment, instead of on packaging. It took me a week over to download various dependencies and solve this issue.
As far as I know, some projects like Grafana supports it. That would save users a lot of trouble on building and managing their own images, especially considering we need to support both AMD and ARM platforms.

@whitecrow

We aim to make this as simple as possible for everyone. Please feel free to comment here Support url rewrite for embed mode · Issue #911 · temporalio/ui · GitHub, that will help the team to prioritize.

@antonio.perez This issue is submitted by me :sweat_smile:

@antonio.perez
I think we have had plenty of feedback under this issue of ui-server:Support serving UI under subpaths

14 people vote for it, and several give their comments.
But unfortunately, we still end up with an image rebuild.

I think that we are waiting for this Support serving UI under subpaths · Issue #576 · temporalio/ui · GitHub

Maybe @Ruslan can provide more information

1 Like